Hey everyone, hope you’re having an amazing day today. Today, I’m gonna show you how to make a distinctive dish, bak kwa | 肉干 | chinese bbq chicken jerky. One of my favorites. For mine, I will make it a bit tasty. This is gonna smell and look delicious. Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky is one of the most popular of recent trending foods in the world. It’s easy, it’s fast, it tastes delicious. It is appreciated by millions every day. Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky is something that I’ve loved my entire life.
To get started with this particular recipe, we must first prepare a few ingredients. You can cook bak kwa | 肉干 | chinese bbq chicken jerky using 17 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Bak Kwa | 肉干 | Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky:
- Get 500 g Chicken Thigh Skinless Boneless,
- Take 1 TBSP Fish Sauce,
- Prepare 1/2 TBSP Dark Soy Sauce,
- Take 1/2 TBSP Light Soy Sauce,
- Prepare 1 TBSP Rose Wine,
- Take Chinese 5 Spice Powder, 1/2 TSP
- Prepare 50 g Demerara Sugar,
- Take 50 g Japanese Red Sugar / Dark Muscovado Sugar,
- Prepare Maltose Syrup / Pure Honey / Maple Syrup, 1 TBSP + More For Brushing
- Get 1/4 TSP Cinnamon Powder,
- Take 1/4 TSP Coriander Powder,
- Take 1/4 TSP White Pepper,
- Make ready 1 TBSP Sesame Oil,
- Prepare Pinch Smoked Sea Salt,
- Get Pinch Sriracha Powder / Smoked Paprika,
- Get 1 TSP Liquid Smoke,
- Prepare Hickory Smoking Chips (Optional)
Instructions to make Bak Kwa | 肉干 | Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky:
- You can check out my previous recipe for the homemade Chinese 5 spice.
- If you have a meat grinder, that's great. Grind the chicken thigh with your meat grinder. - If not, you can use a blender or a food processor. - Cut half of the chicken thigh into small pieces. - Blend or process them up in batches. - Do not over blend or process them. Stop once the meat is ground up.
- Transfer the ground chicken into a large mixing bowl. - As for the remaining half of the chicken thigh, use a cleaver, chop into fine pieces. - Chop as finely as humanly can. - Transfer the chopped chicken into the same bowl as the ground chicken.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except for the liquid smoke. - Mix to combine well. Mix, mix, mix. - A quick tip. Maltose syrup is difficult to work with at room temperature. After measuring out, transfer to a heatproof bowl and let steam for about 5 mins or until the maltose is liquified. - Cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius or 360 fahrenheit. - Transfer about 2 heaped TBSP of the chicken onto a parchment paper. - Place the other parchment paper on top of the chicken. - Using a rolling pin, roll and spread out the chicken into a square as evenly as you can, to about 1/8 inch thick. - Remove the top parchment paper.
- Do not discard, as you can use it for your second batch.* - Transfer the chicken with the bottom parchment paper onto your baking tray. - Wack into the oven and bake for 10 mins. - *(Optional) For some extra smoked flavors, you can add some smoking chips into a large bowl covered with aluminum foil. Set it on a light fire and place it at the bottom of your oven while baking the chicken.*
- Mix 2 heaped TBSP of maltose and liquid smoke until well combined. - Keep it warm on a double boiler for easier handling. If you are using honey or maple syrup, you can skip this step. - Remove from the oven. - Brush the chicken with the maltose mixture.
- Wack into the oven and bake for another 10 mins. - Remove from the oven. - Set oven to roast. - Brush the chicken with more maltose mixture.
- Wack into oven and roast for 5 mins. - Remove from oven, flip and brush the chicken with maltose mixture. - Wack into oven and bake for a final 5 mins or until the edge are lightly charred. - Remove from oven, set aside to rest and cool before serving. It will taste better the next day. - Repeat the process for the remaining chicken.
- Smoked version: - - I also included a smoked version with the help of my NordicWare's Stovetop Kettle Smoker. It is optional. But I would recommend smoking these Bak Kwa. Yes, it does lack texture but sure makes up for flavors. And I mean, complex layers of flavors.
- For the smoking method. - If you are using this smoked method, replace smoked salt with sea salt. - If you have a smoker, I would highly recommend smoking the chicken jerky. Although it lacks texture, it makes up for flavors. - I am using NordicWare's Stovetop Kettle Smoker.
- Follow the procedures as per instructed manual. - After the chicken had been marinated, transfer about 2 heaped TBSP of the chicken onto a parchment paper. - Place the other parchment paper on top of the chicken. - Using a rolling pin, roll and spread out the chicken into a circle (smaller than the kettle smoker), as evenly as you can, to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove the top parchment paper. - Do not discard, as you can use it for your second batch. - Keep maltose warm on a double boiler for easier handling. If you are using honey or maple syrup, you can skip this step. - Smoke for 15 mins, remove the cover, brush with the maltose.
- Cover and smoke for another 15 mins. - Remove cover, flip and brush with the maltose. - Cover and smoke for a final 10 or 15 mins or until the edges are lightly charred. - I would suggest, taking the temperature higher than stated in the instruction manual, cos we want those charred edges. - Remove from smoker, set aside to rest and cool before serving. It will taste better the next day. - Repeat the process for the remaining chicken.
- You can check out the detailed recipe video: - https://www.instagram.com/tv/CK38AJ6lgxv/
So that’s going to wrap it up for this exceptional food bak kwa | 肉干 | chinese bbq chicken jerky recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am confident you will make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!